So, what have I been up to, you might ask? Let's rewind to the end of May, beginning of June. My mom and brother, Greg, both celebrated birthdays. We enjoyed lobster, clams, and ice cream cake together. Sadly, I forgot my camera at home that evening, but it certainly was a joyful occasion.
My Pepere, my dad's dad, turned 80 on June 5th. My family threw him a surprise birthday cookout to celebrate the festive occasion. My Pepere is a wonderful man. He's funny, caring, hard working and full of life. When I was young, he and my Memere owned a little bar in Old Town called the Shuffle Inn. I remember the long counter and bar stools and the tall beer taps that I occasionally got to pull. Perhaps that's where my bartender training started. My Memere was always in the kitchen, frying clams and other artery clogging treats. Eventually they leased and then sold the business and building, but my Pepere held many other jobs, including working the grounds at Hermon Meadows, where he still works and plays to this day. If I had to think of his two favorite past times, I'd say golf and Maine hockey are right up there. Although, family, especially his grandchildren, probably rank number 1.
My Dad (left) and Pepere (right)
Here I am with my Memere.
The following week, with only 7 days left of school, I attended William's final T-Ball game. He didn't know I was coming and was sure excited to see me, which of course warmed my heart more than he'll ever know! After some snuggles and kisses, he hit the field.


And after one inning, he hit the playground.

My students had their dance performance a few nights before the last day of school and just five days later, I was doing my first unofficial BodyStep class at the Bangor Brewer Athletic Club! We planned on a quiet, surprise class for those who showed up for a canceled, yet regularly scheduled class. It just so happened to also be the night before the last day of school. My brain was already fried! Well, 15-20 people showed up and boy was I nervous. Like, pit in my stomach nervous. It went pretty well. I have a few things to tidy up for this Tuesday's "launch." Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to practice this week, but I have a couple more days to work on the tracks I have to teach.
The end of the school year went well. The last day, this past Wednesday, was long and short, happy and sad. I've spent the past three days packing my classroom in order to move to the new school! Woo Hoo!! I'm not sure how many boxes I've packed, or how many trash bags I've filled with junk, but I am just now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This motivated me quite a bit, too:
My new room!!
Last night we had our final End-of-Year S.S.S. staff party. Although tired from packing, spirits were high. We all know good things are in store for us in the Fall.
So, that's what I've been up to lately. My summer vacation officially starts on Monday at noon. Until then, I better keep packing and stepping!
I always enjoy reading your blog Heather. You are such a thoughtful and wise woman. I love that you share yourself so openly with the world. Thank you for your inspiration!
ReplyDelete