Monday, August 9, 2010

"Violet! You're turning violet, Violet!"


I'm sure we all remember when Violet Beauregarde inflated into a blueberry after trying one of Wonka's concoctions. The Oompa Loompas had to roll her to the juicing room for squeezing, much to her father's alarm.

Right about now, I'm afraid I may need to be rolled to the juicing room. Blueberry season is one of my favorite times in Maine. I love the juicy little gems. I eat them handfuls at a time, with yogurt, on cereal, and in scrumptious treats. This weekend I baked two delicious desserts with the fresh blueberries I have. The first treat was a white cake with hints of lemon, cream cheese frosting (low fat, none the less), and, of course, blueberry spread and fresh blueberries on top. It was a birthday cake for my friend Jenn. I used a variety of recipes to concoct the layered treat, so it was inspired by many.

The second guilty pleasure I baked was a blueberry coffee cake. I've made this before, the original recipe coming from a friend and colleague, Diane. I don't know if she's ever made anything that couldn't appear in a cookbook, so with 100% confidence, this blueberry cake has become my go-to treat when I need to bake for family and friends. It is moist, yet fluffy with a crunchy cinnamon-sugar top.

Diane's Blueberry Coffee Cake

3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. shortening
1 egg (at or near room temperature)
1/2 c. milk (at or near room temperature)
2 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. fresh blueberries (I toss mine in a tsp. of flour to coat)

Crumb Mixture:
Mix together with a pastry blender or fork: 1/2 c. sugar, 1/3 c. flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 c. cold butter, cubed.

Preheat oven to 375. Mix together shortening, sugar and egg. (I use a hand-held mixer on low) Add milk and mix on low until combined. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix together until just combined. Carefully fold in blueberries. Spread in a 9" square pan. Top with crumb mixture. Bake for 45-50 minutes.


This is great warm or at room temperature, although the crumb topping is best warm, in my opinion. It can be enjoyed with a fresh cup of coffee or tea in the morning, noon, or night. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment