
Set in England, it is a novel about a mathematically gifted, 15 year old autistic boy named Christopher. Christopher's neighbor's dog, Wellington, is murdered. He wants to become a detective, like Sherlock Holmes, to find out who killed poor Wellington, but during his investigation, Christopher uncovers some alarming family secrets.
The author's style is unique, adding to the book's overall appeal. The book is written "by" Christopher as a school project. The chapters are consecutive prime numbers (2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, and so on, up to 233) because counting prime numbers is a way Christopher calms down when he is over stimulated or upset. Christopher hates the color yellow, doesn't like to be touched, can't understand emotions, and enjoys having a timetable (schedule) everyday.
The author has done a remarkable job bringing Christopher's character to life. Having worked with many autistic students, I found this book to be accurate, informative, eye-opening, and entertaining. It was a quick read (221 pages). I'd love to share, if anyone wants to borrow it!
I thank my good friend, Marcia, for giving me this book as an end-of-year gift. It made for a perfect start to my summer vacation!
This sounds good. It reminds me of "A Dog Like Henry" written in England about another autistic boy. Marcia is a sweetheart, isn't she.
ReplyDeleteThat's funny b/c I gave Marcia the book you mentioned! :) It, too, was a good read.
ReplyDelete