I typically do my big grocery run on Sunday afternoons, which means Sunday morning's breakfast is pretty bleak. This morning was as typical as they come. Upon combing through my almost empty refrigerator and pantry, I was feeling quite uninspired. My options: a ripe banana, carrots and hummus, fat free cottage cheese, or tuna. Awesome. I had the usual suspects, too: Go Lean cereal, oats, and eggs. Then I remembered a pancake recipe that I had bookmarked awhile back, which called for egg whites, oats, and cottage cheese. I've seen quite a few "Cottage Cheese Pancake" recipes online, but this one had the simplest directions and prettiest pictures, so I went with it. Here's the recipe:
Cottage Cheese Pancakes
1/2 c. egg whites*
1/2 c. oats
1/2 c. cottage cheese
1/2 packet stevia, splenda, truvia, or other sweetener.
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Cook in a nonstick skillet, sprayed with Pam, as you would regular pancakes. (Flip when bubbles form.) Makes 3 medium or two large pancakes.
*I used 3 large egg whites
I'm happy to report the pancakes were a great success! I was too hungry to stop and take pictures. The outsides were crunchy and the insides were a bit chewy. I think I will mix up the spices next time...maybe add a bit of nutmeg or a bit more cinnamon. I topped mine with a drizzle of agave nectar. Yum!
Nutrition Facts(for pancakes w/out agave nectar):
Cals: 301 g
Fat: 4 g
Carb: 31 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 31 g
No comments:
Post a Comment