Sunday, May 8, 2011

I Can't Feel My Legs

Actually, I CAN feel them. They hurt. They hurt a lot.

This weekend I participated in a Les Mills BodyStep instructor training. The training consisted of two full (8-5) days of high energy workouts, practicing choreography, learning techniques, perfecting techniques, and education for instructing others. At the beginning of day one, each participant was given a track (song/choreography) to learn and present on day 2. I got the "speed step" track. The focus was agility, balance, and fast feet.

So, day one ended around 5:15. I came home and proceeded to learn and practice my track until about 10:00. The song bounced around in my head all night. I was petrified of messing up in front of everyone. You see, when instructing, you have to know the choreography, techniques, and timing of the music, while keeping in mind that left is right and right is left. You also have to give verbal and non verbal cues and motivators at appropriate moments.

Sunday started with group instruction. I did pretty well, but had a few things to work on for the afternoon. The entire day was spent revisiting technique, conditioning our bodies, practicing, and then giving our final presentation. It was a physically draining day, to say the least.

I'm happy to report that I passed the training! This means I can co-teach BodyStep classes. I have three months to learn 11 more tracks, video tape myself teaching them to a full class, and then mail it to the Les Mills people for assessment. If I pass, I can teach on my own. If not, I have to practice more and do another video.

So, my legs are dead. My calf muscles are on fire. And my brain is fried. But, I'm so glad I pushed myself out of my comfort zone this weekend. Learning something new is a wonderful thing. I did it!

1 comment:

  1. You'll pass -no worries. I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to mtake your class AND for you to take one of my classes :) Come visit soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete