Monday, March 7, 2011

Say Yes to the Dress!

Disclaimer: The pictures you see on here are, of course, lovely dresses; however, none of which ended up being the dress for me.

On Saturday, my mom, Jenn, and I went to Henry's in Bangor to try on wedding dresses. I had postponed the excursion once before and was feeling both nervous and anxiously excited to see myself in wedding dresses. Dress shopping = time to (wo)man up. Leading up to being engaged, I wasn't even sure what the big deal was about finding the perfect dress. My mom reminded me early on that it's a once-in-a-lifetime day, so it's okay to splurge on a once-in-a-lifetime dress.



When we arrived at Henry's, I met our dress consultant, Madeline. She was wonderful. We spoke for a few minutes about my likes and dislikes, before she set us loose looking through racks and racks of dresses. I told her that I was willing to try on just about anything, but that I liked lace and simplicity. My dislikes included big jewels and crazy beading. As far as a dress shape, I had no idea what would look best on my body shape, so I was clueless.



After choosing four of five different gowns, I was ushered into a rather small dressing room. Getting the dresses out of their garment bags and onto my body proved rather tricky and hilarious at times. I was zippered, laced, clamped, and squeezed into the dresses. It was quite the process! My most memorable dress, in a humorous way, was the one that took up the entire dressing room once I pulled it from its bag! In fact, it was so large, it stood up on its own, making it quite easy to step into.





In the end, I found my dress. It was the second to last dress I tried on. When I looked at myself in the mirror, I immediately realized that the way I looked in it, matched the way I felt: like a beautiful bride.

1 comment: